CLASS: X Sub: Physics
Chapter-: Electricity Sub Teacher: T L Bindu (PGT Phy)
1 mark Questions
1. Name the SI unit of
i) Electric charge
ii) Electric current
iii) Potential difference
v) Electric power
2. Name the instrument used to measure
i) Potential difference
ii) Electric current
3. Which particles constitute the electric current in a metallic conductor?
4. How is a voltmeter connected in a circuit to measure the potential difference between two points?
5. How is an ammeter connected in a circuit to measure current?
6. What is meant by saying that potential difference between two points is 1volt?
i) one ampere
ii) one volt
iii) one watt
iv) one ohm
v) one kilowatt-hour
8. Name a device that helps to maintain a potential difference across a conductor.
9. Name the law which relates the current in a conductor to the potential difference across its ends.
10. State Ohm’s law.
11. Keeping the potential difference constant, the resistance of a circuit is doubled. By how much does the current change?
12. Keeping the resistance constant, the potential difference applied across the ends of a component is halved. By how much does the current change?
13. Name two materials commonly used to make standard resistance wires.
14. What happens to the resistance as the conductor is made thinner?
15. Why do electricians wear rubber hand gloves while working with electricity?
16. If the length of a wire is doubled by taking more of wire, what happens to its resistance?
17. How does resistance of a wire change when its diameter is doubled?
18. Define resistivity.
19. Name factors on which the resistivity of a material depends.
20. Name the quantity whose SI unit is
21. Write the formula for electric power in terms of
i) Potential difference and current
ii) Current and resistance
iii) potential difference and resistance
21. Name the commercial unit of electric energy.
22. Which has greater resistance: a 100W bulb or 60W bulb?
23. State three factors on which the heat produced by an electric current depends?
24. Name two devices which work on the heating effect of electric current.
25. Why filament type electric bulbs are not power efficient?
2 mark Questions
26. Calculate the number of electrons constituting 1C of charge
27. .How much work is done in moving a charge of 5C across two points having a potential difference of 12V?
28. How much energy is given to each coulomb of charge passing through a 6v battery?
29. An electric bulb draws a current of 0.75A for 15 minutes. Calculate the amount of electric charge that flows through the circuit.
30. What is the conventional direction of flow of electric current?
31. On what factors do the resistance of a conductor depends?
32. What are the disadvantages of connecting different electrical appliances in series?
33. What are the advantages of connecting different electrical appliances in parallel?
34. State whether an electric heater will consume more electrical energy or less electrical energy per second when the length of its heating element is reduced. give reason for your answer.
35. Explain the working of an electric fuse.
36. State whether an electric heater will consume more electrical energy per second when the length of its heating element is reduced. Give reason for your answer.
Chapter-: Magnetic effect of electric current
1. The rule for finding
i) the direction of magnetic field produced by a straight current carrying conductor
ii) the direction of induced current
iv) the force on a current carrying conductor in a magnetic field
2. State the above rules
3. Name one device works on the magnetic effect of current.
4. Name the device which converts mechanical energy into electrical energy.
5. Name the phenomenon which is made use of in an electric generator.
6. What is the usual colour of insulation of i) live wire ii) neutral wire and iii) Earth wire
7. Name two safety measures commonly used in domestic electric circuits
8. The device which automatically cut off the electric supply during short circuiting in a domestic circuit?
9. What is the frequency of a.c supply in India?
10. State an important advantage of alternating current over direct current.
11. Name some sources of i)direct current ii) alternating current
12. Describe the importance of earthing in domestic wiring.
13. Sketch the magnetic field lines due to
i) a bar magnet
ii) current carrying straight conductor
iii) circular loop carrying current
iv) current carrying solenoid
14. What is an electromagnet? Describe the construction and working of an electromagnet.
15. Draw a labelled sketch to show the domestic electric wiring from an electric pole to home.
Chapter-: Sources of Energy
1. What are the various factors which we would keep in mind while choosing a source of energy?
2. Many thermal power plants are set up near coal or oil fields. Why?
3. Name the place in India where the largest wind energy farm has been established.
4. Name the device which converts sun light into electricity.
5. Name the constituents of Biogas
6. Name the constituent of biogas which makes it an excellent fuel.
7. Name the forms of energy which could be harnessed from the sea(ocean)
8. Name two forms in which solar energy manifests itself in the sea.
9. Name one volatile liquid used in ocean thermal energy conversion plants.
10. What type of nuclear reaction is responsible for the liberation of energy in a nuclear reactor?
11. What type of nuclear reaction is responsible for the liberation of energy in the sun?
12. List the Advantages & Disadvantages of
i) Producing Hydroelectricity
ii) Using wind energy to produce electricity
iii) Using solar cooker
iv) Using geothermal energy
v) Using fossil fuels
vi) Nuclear energy
13. Hydrogen has been used as a rocket fuel. Would you consider it a cleaner fuel than C N G? Why or Why not?
14. Explain how electricity is produced in a hydro electric power plant?
15. Explain how wind energy can be used to generate electricity?
16. Describe the construction and working of a box- type solar cooker.
17. Describe the construction and working of a biogas plant with the help of a labelled diagram.